Community

Wild About Lions and Heart-melting Caracal Kittens

Story by Jessica Dougherty Photos by Donald Komondy (www.donaldkomondy.com) The new lion cubs enjoy lying on their hammocks with their mother, Naomi This year has been one for the history books, as we all know. The ripple effects of the global COVID-19 pandemic have been felt throughout the world, and the Animal Park at the Conservators Center is no exception. ...

Read More »

Hyco Lake Evolves

The Person-Caswell Lake Authority has worked tirelessly over the years to provide camping, swimming, picnicking and boating activities, and continues to look for new offerings to enhance the lake experience for residents and visitors. There are tent camping sites, RV camping sites  and cabins, as well as shelters and a community building for large gatherings. Recently, a disc golf course, ...

Read More »

Continuing the Legacy

By Immanuel Martin Since I was 10 years old, I have wanted to do something involving film and photography. Enjoying movies day in and day out, I watched all the behind the scenes and extra credits. I got my first camera at the age of 14 and started a photography business. It has been pretty successful but still there was ...

Read More »

Caswell County and the Chamber of the 21st Century

Story by Stokes R. Reagan When you talk to Amanda Hodges about Caswell County, her passion for the community is evident. And with a 23-year background in digital marketing, she is ready to help bring Caswell County into the 21st Century. Amanda used that marketing experience last summer to mount a successful campaign to bring the community back to the ...

Read More »

All In with the Chamber of Commerce

By Kyle James, Roxboro Area Chamber of Commerce Board Member Back in 2017, 1792 Beer Company was just an idea and had only started to take shape on paper. We had no idea at the time what it might grow into or how we might be involved in the community. Shortly after opening our doors in December 2018, we heard ...

Read More »

A Brief History of Hyco Lake

By Norwood Walker This story was published in the 2015 Summer issue of Hyco Lake Magazine. It is perfect to get you excited about our next issue of this regional publication. In our Summer 2020 issue you will find a story titled... "Hyco Lake Becomes a Region" Whether you are sitting on the screened in porch of your lake house, ...

Read More »

Sense of Place – Caswell County

Sense of Place: A Creative Community Dialogue about the places in Caswell County that mean the most to us. There are so many stories to be told about this place we call home. Is there a place in Caswell County that has special meaning to you? If you were going to tell someone about this place, what would you tell ...

Read More »

Person High School’s Evolving Women’s Golf Team

By Yesenia Garcia Person Early College for Innovation and Leadership (PECIL) student Are you interested in being part of a sports team that makes you feel special because you’re helping it grow? A sport where you not only learn the skill of playing, but where you get to build new friendships and leave a legacy behind? If so, Person High ...

Read More »

Rock ‘n Read Fundraiser

By Sue Brooks The Halifax County-South Boston Public Library recently held its fourth annual early literacy fundraiser. This year’s fundraiser was titled “Rock ‘n Read.” Fourteen local artists donated their time and talent to paint nine donated guitars, four ukuleles, and one hand-built cigar box guitar. The early literacy fundraising event came to be four years ago when the First ...

Read More »

Business is Popping in Roxboro

Welcoming Hopper’s Poppers Story and photos by Sara Coates First Impressions Nearly a year ago, rumors of a new business were rapidly spreading throughout Roxboro. Supposedly, an Illinois family was making plans to relocate their popcorn shop to our small town, and I’ll be the first to admit that I found it quite bizarre. “Why here,” I questioned, when I ...

Read More »