Community

Family Traditions

Passed Down Through Food and Stories By Olivia Townsend, RCS Junior Every family has a set of traditions they have passed down from generation to generation. These traditions serve as windows to our past and by participating in them, we are helping to keep those memories alive. My grandparents began teaching me the traditions of my family when I was ...

Read More »

Town Of Halifax – Small Business Saturday

The Town of Halifax Encourages Everyone to Shop Local and Support Local Businesses! The outbreak of COVID-19 has impacted everyone in such a short period of time and we send our best wishes to our community and surrounding communities. Small business owners are only a small part of society that has been impacted by COVID-19 related closures, but the impact the ...

Read More »

A Gift to Our Community

Story and some photos by Paul Liggitt Marketers have trained consumers to flit from movement to movement on electronic screens because our attention spans are short. They know they only have a few seconds to get us to click on their call to action. It is said that every time there is movement on a screen, our attention resets. _ ...

Read More »

Wood Splitters

Story and photos by Paul Liggitt North Carolina has long been known as a state with a rich heritage of logging and lumbermen. It has also been recognized as the leading furniture manufacturing state. Although the industry has changed in recent years, forestry products continue to be a major resource in North Carolina. So, when a tree falls in the ...

Read More »

Cole’s Pharmacy ‘Where everybody knows your name’

Story by Phyliss Boatwright Photos by Mackenzie Clayton, RCS Senior “You want to go where everybody knows your name” -- that’s how customers and friends sum up the experience of visiting Cole’s Pharmacy on Main Street in uptown Roxboro. And if you want to get a true taste of Roxboro and Person County, just step inside the building on the ...

Read More »

Teen Artist and Entrepreneur Paints Barn Quilt Squares

By John Theo Jr. Fifteen-year-old Kaitlyn Reaves has shown an affinity for art since elementary school, and was encouraged to pursue this passion by parents Daryl and Lesley. Over the years, Kaitlyn tried her hand at different art forms such as charcoal drawing, but at her mother’s suggestion, she decided to pursue painting barn quilt squares. When asked why she ...

Read More »

A Small-Town Girl with Big Goals

By Hannah Evans May 23, 2020 was my first day working at Hyco Lake Marina. I was looking for something to do because COVID-19 caused a lot of things I liked to do to be cancelled or postponed. My mom had informed me that Laura was looking for help at Hyco Lake Marina. Even though I am only 14-years-old, I ...

Read More »

Pickleball is Alive and Well in the Hyco Lake Region

By Peggy Mcfarland Pickleball is alive and well in Person County. For those who have never heard of the game, it was invented 55 years ago on Bainbridge Island, near Seattle, Washington. One lazy summer day, three friends, including Joel Pritchard, Bill Bell and Barney McCallum, told their bored children to go out to their backyard badminton court. They gave ...

Read More »

Motorcycles And Toys And Strangers

By Norwood Walker The roar of hundreds of motorcycles. Men and women clad in leather jackets. Long hair, beards, bandanas. What reaction does this bring to your mind and body? Are you ready to close and lock all the doors and windows and hide under the bed? Or, you may be ready to slap on your leather and rush out ...

Read More »

Melvin Hamlett

A Lifetime Contributing to our Community Story and photos by Meredith Bernard After being greeted with a firm handshake and hearty smile, I recently sat across a table from Person County native Melvin Hamlett and began hearing his life story. It didn’t take long to realize how this man has garnered a respected reputation that’s left a mark on his ...

Read More »