Community

PCC Foundation Has Been Golfing for Change Since 1990

By Allison Satterfield - Executive Director, PCC Foundation For nearly three decades, the Piedmont Community College Foundation has gathered friends and supporters each fall for a day on the golf course. The annual charity tournament, known as the PCC Foundation Golf Classic, has a long-standing reputation for its quality and fun, and is approaching its 29th round on October 15. ...

Read More »

My All-Time Favorite Teacher

Story by Payten Pearsall I haven’t always lived in Person County. When I was in 8th grade I moved from Granville County to Timberlake. Though I undeniably missed home that first year, the following year (my freshman year) was, to my surprise, much better thanks to one of my all-time favorite teachers, Mr. Johnson. He taught me world history and ...

Read More »

Wake The World 2018 – Hyco Lake

Story by Marlo Countiss On Thursday, June 28, 13 disadvantaged kids from Burlington and Haw River enjoyed an experience they will never forget.  They got to participate in the first ever Wake The World event at Hyco Lake. Wake The World is a non-profit organization started by Master's Wake Boarding Champion Greg Hodgin and his wife Lois from Asheboro NC.  ...

Read More »

Thank You Mr. Poole

Story by Justin Breeze When I was in middle school I joined a club called Men Of Distinction (MOD) at Southern Middle School.  This club was all about teaching teenage boys how to be upstanding, respectful young men. MOD helped me in many ways: the club taught me life lessons, expanded my leadership skills, and helped me become more social. ...

Read More »

Handy Fix-It Fund

APS of Person County Volunteers Make a Big Difference for Cats and Dogs By Phyliss Boatwright “We are all like-minded volunteers with the same goals — to save and help as many dogs and cats as we can.” That’s how Robyn Handy, a member of Animal Protection Society of Person County (APS) and the foster parent of “hundreds of dogs” ...

Read More »

PCC Travel Scholarship Broadened My College Experience

By Mikela Robertson In 2017 I was awarded the Piedmont Community College (PCC) International Study Scholarship from the PCC Foundation. With this scholarship, I was able to travel to Canada with a group from the College. This was a great opportunity for me because I did not have the financial capacity to pay for this type of educational trip on ...

Read More »

From the Netherlands to NC

Story and photos by Sara Coates - Roxboro Community School Seventeen-year-old Marie-Claire Evers transformed her life last fall as she traded her home in Almere, a city in the Netherlands, for a 10-month experience in Person County, where she is completing her senior year at Roxboro Community School (RCS). Evers has ties to Roxboro, through her mother, who lived here ...

Read More »

The Value of a Community College

Story by Michael Chaney After graduating from Piedmont Community College (PCC), I transferred to Campbell University located in Buies Creek, NC. There I completed a B.S. degree in Homeland Security with double concentrations in Terrorism and Intelligence and a minor in Criminal Justice Administration. Upon graduation, I began law school at Campbell Law in Raleigh, NC, where I am currently ...

Read More »

Community Foundation of the Dan River Region – 1/24/2018

NEWS RELEASE   THE COMMUNITY FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES OVER $635,000 IN NEW GRANTS; MORE THAN $22.6 MILLION GIVEN SINCE FORMATION   For release after                                                                      For more information, 4:30 p.m. January 24, 2018                                                    contact Debra Dodson   The Community Foundation of the Dan River Region announced today a total of more than $637,000 in new grants to 43 non-profit community ...

Read More »

Real-World experience for Journalism Students

This story was published in the Summer 2017 issue of Hyco Lake Magazine. It was the inspiration for our on going initiative to help the young people of our community publish their work! By Phyliss Boatwright - Roxboro Community School Journalism Instructor When high school students are offered the opportunity to take photographs or write articles for a “real” magazine, they ...

Read More »